Sunday, June 28, 2009

FYI.........I Love Cookbooks

I love ward cookbooks because most recipes are made with the ingredients I keep at my house, so for anyone who is reading this blog if your ward has a cookbook for sale, let me know and I will be your first customer. Anyway,I tried a new recipe from the Meadowdale Ward Cookbook "Chicken Chimichangas" it was GREAT! It is baked but taste like deep fried. So I thought I would share with everyone.

2 1/2 c shredded cooked chicken
2/3 c picante sauce
1/3 c green onion slices
1/2 tsp crushed oregano leaves
1/2 tsp salt
8 flour tortillas ( 7-8 inch size)
1/4 c melted butter
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
guacamole
sour cream

Combine chicken, picante sauce,onion,oregano and salt in saucepan, stir and simmer for 5 minutes or until most liquid has evaporated. Brush one side of tortilla with butter. Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture onto center of unbuttered side of tortillas, top with 2 tablespoons of cheese. Fold 2 sides over filling, fold ends over. Place seems-side down inbaking dish. Bake in preheated over at 475 for about 13 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Top with guacamole, sour cream, and more shredded cheese and /or more picante sauce as desired.

ENJOY!---Ps. to make life easier for me we put frozen chicken in a crock pot on high while at church and it was finished cooking when we got home. Made preparation and cooking alot easier.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying your cookbook! We're really pleased with how they turned out. =) Thanks for contributing, too!

Neese Family said...

Yummy! I love Mexican, but my husband doesn't so much. I will have to wait a week to make this because I made mexican tonight. I love cook books also! I read them like books! I saw No Reservations and Catherine Zeta Jones character does the same. I so relate!