Just an update, I had lasik eye surgery on Friday, things went well. Let me give you a play by play. (read at your own risk!) So on Thursday, I had to go in and re check my eyes just to make sure that wearing my glasses for the PAST MONTH was enough, and that I could proceed to the next step. Yeah I passed, but I was nervous. As I was getting an exam I was so anxious I could not read the letters on the wall. I told the doctor this is a very big step and what I say is on the wall goes, and that is what my eyes were going to read for the rest of my life.......I must take my time and breathe!
Friday morning, we got to Bellevue for our surgery and after signing the check (ugh) they asked me if I would like a Valium? Would I ever!!! In this office you can watch many surgeries if you would like, all surgeries in this place is in a glass room. I chose not to watch the procedure but to watch what each person looked like before and after. First person was happy and she did not even have a Valium ( hmmm, it must be cake??) The second person ( a man) did have a Valium and looked very nervous going in, but going out he was LOOPY ( hmm was it as easy for him as the first?) OH CRAP! It is my turn next, I don't have enough Valium I am still anxious, I am NOT ready, but it is my turn. So I get these cute shoe covers and hair cover and off I go, why not they did promise me the best light show in town:) So the first chair I sit in they put 2 numbing drops in and then they say hold your eye open for 5 seconds while we put these contact looking things in one eye ( DON'T MOVE, just so you know my heart is beating real fast as I am writing this, I might need a Valium) So as they put this contact in my eye, EVERYTHING went dark it stung just a little but I must hold still for another 15 seconds which for some reason just did not go by very fast. I hear the laser and then the doctors said "Great job it is done" they removed the contact WITH MY CORNEAL FLAP--WHOA, now I had to do the other eye, there was no backing out. So once the other eye was done, get this, I had to sit up and WALK to the other operating chair-Dude I have no covers on my eyes. So, as I lay in the chair they proceed to tape my eyes back so I can't blink, they check double check, ask me my name and birthday ( boy shouldn't you be asking me if I am farsighted or nearsighted, come on my birthday what does that have to do with the surgery?) So as they get the machine ready they say " Here goes" Awwww, the promised light show, green, red, yellow, oh my gosh what is that smell (My mind races back to the release paper I signed saying if the machine malfunctions during surgery, I COULD GO BLIND) Then the show is gone, and I must hold still for 90 seconds, then my corneal flap returns and I see the doctor smoothing it out like spreading frosting on a cake. Then the next eye was done, the smell returned ---I felt a little better, ( boy I wished I had taken them up on taking 2 Valiums, because that light show would have been lots better). So once both eyes were done, the part of my face not numb ( my eyebrows) just had a free eyebrow wax, but with no wax, just the sticky part of the tape, as they ripped the tape off, I think half the hair in my eyebrow went with it, ( check, one thing I don't have to get done later :) ya right I don't wax) Now it is time to meet up with Tom. I can see better, but still cloudy. I looked at Tom, he had a strange look, I went in with a Valium and I came out with 2 hickeys????? I got these cool black shades and they sent me home. My eyes were very heavy and I could hardly open them, and once the numbing solution wore off it was very painful. I slept and kept my eyes closed for most of the rest of the day. So for the next week I was given the best looking goggles for when I sleep--they are white with rubber blockers all around the eye and I get a strap to go all around my head. WATCH OUT TOM HERE I COME!!! Everyone in my family got a good laugh. When I got up I could see the alarm clock, those of you who are blind with out glasses know how significant that is. I thought I could see pretty well, then I went out side and it was blurry and not crisp, I started to think that this was all I was going to get---As we get back to the doctors for the follow up she asked me to read the letters on the wall ( those darn letters, I can't seem to get away from them) I can read 20/25. She was happy, but I was not I want to read 20/20. She looked at me and said " so you are saying if you went in for knee surgery, you will be running the next day?" I had pretty bad eyes site, so it will take a while to heal. I felt much better. Things will get better. If not YEAH ME I got the life time enhancements, which means I can do that procedure all over again--but next time I need 5 Valiums ---I want loopiness!! If you were wondering the entire procedure only took 10 minutes maybe 15 minutes. WOW modern technology ( Also, I do not have pictures, still a little self conscience, maybe one for old time sake at the end of the week?)
3 comments:
I don't know if I should have read that. =P MY eyes are feeling very blinky, and I'm thinking that Lasik is probably not for me!
But hooray for the alarm clock -- I definitely know how big of a deal that is! And for the amazing eyesight you'll have once you're completely healed!!
That is so great! I am so happy for you! I hope that it gets better and better!
Thanks for the true play-by-play. I've considered this procedure. Still not sure, but I'm happy for your detailed explanation!!
Post a Comment