Friday, January 29, 2010

Tyson received his BEAR


We are so proud of Tyson getting his Bear award in the scouting program! He worked hard infact, he worked harder than he needed to because his Mom did not know what she was doing. I am the first one to admit that when it comes to scouting I do not know or want to know anything about it. The only thing I do know is that when each book is passed off the mother gets the traditional pinning of the badge. So with that said, I attempted to help Tyson with his bear badge, and my father even put in a bonus that if Tyson got his badge in 2 weeks he would give him the much wanted pocket knife. So we started working on it and it was tough, from my eyes Tyson had at least 25 more areas to pass off. We worked and worked, and still no end. I finally asked Tom to help with the areas like plumbing,(yuck) enviromental etc. He looked at the book and said to me "what are you doing?" I smiled and said, I am trying to help Tyson get his bear badge before his birhtday, (March) but the rate I am going we will not make it. APPAARENTLY-- you don't have to have all of the areas marked off in the book, just 1- 4 in each area, and you get to choose! HUH, imagine that. So when looking at everything WOW Tyson had his bear badge AND enough to get 1 gold arrow and 1 silver arrow. To get a gold you must do 10 extra areas! So yes in short I don't know anything about scouting, but in the long run Tyson DID do 11 extra goals to get his arrows. AND to top it off Tyson is the Denner in his group. Don't ask if you don't know what it is, all I know is that he is a helper. But because of my misunderstanding of the scouting program Tyson did NOT get his pocket knife from my dad----what do you think should he still get it? WE are proud of you Tyson---good luck in Weblos!

3 comments:

Alanna said...

Thanks for the information. I'm a little worried I'll end up like you having all these boys, but growing up with 5 sisters. I'm very inexperienced. Hopefully, at least I won't make that mistake.
Congrats Tyson!

Margo said...

Congrats to Tyson! Dedra, did you know there is a sentence at the bottom of each area (font page of each section) that tells you what needs to be completed? LOL Scouts is really not that hard. Just need to read that fine print at the bottom of the pages. LOL At least you are prepared for Eli. :o) Lots of things are done in school that can help with signing things off. Just an idea. Love and miss you much! :o)

Megan said...

Congratulations, Tyson! The rest of the merit badges should be a breeze after that first stress of trying to do it all, right?! =D Tyson, now we need a photo of you wearing your scout shirt with your new badges on it!