Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pear Pie - IT IS THE BEST!!!!!!

I do not like alot of fruity pies - BUT I had left over pears from Bounitful Baskets, and Melissa said to make this pie - I am the biggest fan of Pear Pie ---enjoy!

Pear Pie -

Crust:
1 c flour
1/2 c powder sugar
1/2 c butter, at room temperature
Filling:
5 c peeled, cored, sliced pears
3 T lemon juice
1/2 c sugar
2 T flour
Topping:
1/2 c sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t ginger
1/4 c butter, softened

Preheat oven to 375. To make the crust, in a medium bowl combine flour and powder sugar. Add butter and cut with pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Spray a 9" pie pan with cooking spray and place crust mixture in it. Pat down crust carefully with your hands making sure it covers the bottom and comes up the sides of the pie pan. Set aside.

To make filling, put the peeled,core, sliced pears in a medium bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice. In small bowl, combine sugar and flour. Add to pear mixture and toss gently to combine. Put filling in prepared crust. Set aside.

To make the topping, mix sugar, cinnamon, and ginger in small bowl and cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over the top of the filling.

Place foil around the edges of pie and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil from edges and bake 25 minutes more. Remove pie from oven and cool completely. Store in fridge, covered until ready to serve. Can be stored up to 3 days.

3 comments:

Megan said...

That sounds yummy! Though, I'm not a big ginger fan, so I might substitute nutmeg. =) If I decide to brave the crowds Saturday morning, I'll be getting some more pears from the church orchard's packing shed on Saturday. Sounds like one maybe I could surprise my family with for Thanksgiving. {It would probably travel in a cooler, right?}

Thanks for sharing!

Sheryl T. said...

Emily made it for our Thanksgiving dinner. We didn't have ginger, so we left it out. It was delicious!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. We hope all is well with each of you. You are in our prayers.

Loughmiller's said...

Love the new family picture!